I finished sewing the binding down on an old UFO just prior to the retreat. I originally pieced this little quilt in 2010 while living in AZ. I was starting my first machine applique project, so I wanted to do some practicing with my machine and the stitches before I worked on the "real" quilt. I had some scraps of batiks laying around that already had fusible on them from making a Snippet Sensations quilt so I fused them on a piece of background fabric in a random pattern, practiced my machine applique skills around each piece, added a border and dubbed the finished quilt top "Collage Applique". Just now as I was typing that I realized that "Applique Collage" is probably a more accurate name, but the label is already made (shocking for me) and I am not changing the name now :-). I got the center half quilted while still in AZ, probably also in 2010 and then the quilt just sat and sat. I finally pulled it back out, finished the quilting and got it bound. It has now lived in 3 different states and I've had two different names since it got started, so it was time to get it done. Here is the finished quilt. Now I just need to find the perfect place to hang it :-)
I also got my Tumbling Nine Patch quilt completed at the retreat. This quilt is a shop sample and only baby size, so since it will likely be either donated for a baby or gifted for a baby, I opted to attach the binding by machine to get it done and off the to do list. There are a number of methods used to attach binding by machine. I didn't want a lot of fuss and worry about having to line things up so I opted to attach the binding to the back of the quilt, pull it to the front and to stitch it down using a blanket/buttonhole stitch. I am very happy with how the front looks. Does the back look great? Well, not so much, but I used a thread that matched the backing so unless you are looking close, it doesn't look bad. And again, this quilt will eventually be used by a baby and will get washed and washed, so machine binding was a good choice for this quilt. Below are pictures of the finished quilt and a closeup of both the front and the back of the binding. I do have 3 kits of this quilt made up in the shop. You can find them HERE.
I have also been plugging away on my Perkiomen Daydreams blocks and have 6 rows completely assembled. Well, technically I have a block flipped on the far left side of row 6. I have unpicked the stitching since taking this pic, but still have to sew it back together.