Sunday, December 27, 2009

More quilts quilted!

I completely quilted one older top yesterday and got a second more than half done. When the bobbin ran out on the second, I decided to call it a day. I finished the second one up first thing this morning.

The first quilt I quilted was a simple single patch quilt that I made in March 2006 to use up some fabrics that I didn't love. I quilted in a wavy grid pattern using King Tut Caravan for the top and my normal Coats & Clark gray piecing thread in the bobbin, both 50 wt cotton. I bought the King Tut thread a year ago at a quilt shop close-out. I thought the color was quite ugly on the spool, but for 70% off I was willing to give it a try. It complemented this quilt perfectly.


The second quilt I quilted was a Mini 4 Patch quilt. This quilt started out as a mini Jewel Box quilt in June 2002. I didn't like the looks of it, so I repurposed the half-square triangle units into a mini flying geese quilt for my sister and the 4 patches became this little gem. The top has been complete since Oct 2006, so it was due for quilting. I quilted in an allover grid pattern using Essentials Thread color Plum for both the top and in the bobbin. I just received this thread for Christmas (thanks Jen!) and I really like it. It quilted up beautifully and the colors are stunning.

No comments: