Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I Hate Cancer

It took my mother from us 18 years ago at the age of 53 and now it's getting ready to take my uncle, the husband of one of my mom's 9 sisters.  He's been fighting it since 2005, and did pretty well for a long time, which is a miracle in and of itself when you are talking about liver cancer.  He was given 6 months about a month ago after an MRI revealed that the cancer had spread significantly and that there was nothing more they could do.  He took a drastic turn for the worse the past few days and the updates we received yesterday were bad and today's were even worse.  It now looks like he probably won't make it until the end of February.  I am 2000 miles away, so can't be there to support anyone in person, which is very frustrating, but I'm thankful for the technology that now exists that allows all of us to communicate easily and in a timely manner.  We have a very large extended family so making sure everyone gets updated on the current situation can be challenging to say the least.  My heart is breaking for his children, my cousins, as I know what they are going through and what they will continue to go through after he is gone.  One of my other aunts also lost her husband on December 17th, so it's been a rough couple of months for my mom's side of the family.  I have a trip home scheduled in late June/early July, and was hoping to see my uncle, but that is apparently not to be.  That may be a blessing as I can remember him how he was and the good times we had.  I just wish they could find a cure for this horrible disease.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm sending you positive vibes with comfort. I understand how you feel. I lost my sister to ugly disease 16 months ago. I wish there is magic way to cure the disease away. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.