Thursday, December 16, 2010

Getting with the Times...Finally!

Up until this week, I have resisted not only getting a smart phone, or anything resembling a smart phone, but also didn't even have a texting plan for my phone.  I used it for making and receiving phone calls.  That's it.

I suddenly decided on Tuesday that I would like to try texting.  I've had a couple of friends telling me that if I tried it, I wouldn't know how I lived without it.  I was sure that wouldn't be the case, but I figured for $5 more a month, it would be worth a try.  So I added texting to my plan.

The first thing I learned was that texting on a regular phone is not only highly inefficient, but also quite troublesome when you have no punctuation available, nor can you capitalize anything other than the very first letter of the text.  But I muddled through anyway. 

Then, as luck would have it, yesterday morning I received an email from Best Buy that included a "Hot Deal" on smart phones.  No kidding.  They were free.  As in no cost to me.  All I had to do was extend my contract for two years.  No problem as I've had my carrier for 10 years, am extremely happy with them, and have no intention of changing.

So I placed my order, requested store pickup, and by mid afternoon, I had this baby in my hot little hands.  It's an HTC Droid Incredible.  I have a friend that has a Droid also, so he helped me with some set up things last night, but for the most part I found it quite easy and intuitive.


And yes, for those of you that were wondering, I can't imagine how I ever lived without texting LOL.  I suspect I'm going to have to up my texting plan or I will be going over my limit which will cost me big bucks.  Actually, for only $5 more per month I can get unlimited texting to anyone in network, which just happens to include everyone that I've currently been texting, so that seems like a worthwhile cost.

I was also able to order the same phone for free for the soon-to-be ex, who also finally got with the times and added texting to his phone too.  He was more adamant than I was about having just a basic phone, but once he realized he could check email and surf the net on this phone, he was all in.  Go figure.

1 comment:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Why is they listen to you when they are going to be 'ex'? Mine was the same way!

I just got a smart phone too and texting which I couldn't imagine wanting. I can easily stay in the $5 range though. I've had it about 24 days and have 43 texts, mostly granddaughters and daughter.