Wednesday, January 13, 2010

1st Finish of 2010!

I put the last stitches in Candy Hearts tonight, the class I took last week.  In spite of the frustrations with the class itself, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.  I think I will seriously consider not doing the rest of the months as applique/quilt as you go.  The instructor had us spray baste this piece and it seemed that this wasn't quite stable enough of a basting job to then do the applique and the quilting as one step.  I ended up with some poofiness in some spots around the hearts, which you can see in the picture.  I think that spray basting is probably the way to go with these little quilts, but then it is also probably better to do the applique separately from the quilting so you can keep the piece flat. 

Since these quilt of the month kits also include the hanger, I've already got this cutie up on the wall by my front door where all of the monthly quilts will probably live.  Who cares that it's not even February yet LOL.  I don't even normally decorate for any holidays other than Christmas and we don't even do that sometimes, so I'm way ahead of the game right now :-).


No comments: